Gifts

This holiday season, I did a lot of prepping. I took inventory of my life and the lessons my kids were gaining over the years. See, my oldest is 15 and my twins are 9. They have a lot material stuff. Seriously. My girls knew the truth about Santa Claus a couple years ago and my son just never asked for anything in particular. Christmas lists were a thing my girls had done in previous years, but I didn't want to do that this year. I took inventory of what they had. The girls had toys they had received last birthday that they hadn't opened. They had gifts from this birthday they didn't get a chance to play with. All of my children have tablets, there's video game consoles, toys, board games. I had to think what were my kids learning when one of them said they wanted a Bugatti or Lamborghini for their 16th birthday. Yeah, gratitude and value in things other than material gifts had to be understood. 


url.jpg
I took the time to explain to my kids several months before Christmas that they shouldn't expect any Christmas gifts under the tree from me. I explained to them that they receive gifts throughout the year. Gratitude is important, creating memories, family time. This year, we would be going on a family trip and that would be their Christmas gift. 2/3 of the children took that well. I think they didn't believe me. I booked our flights in October. November rolled around and I put my Christmas tree up because I like lights and decorations. One of the kids asked why did I put a tree up if there aren't going to be any gifts under the tree? I explained that I like the tree and remember we are going on a trip. I reminded my younger ones that they were going a trip and there are many children that would love to have that as a gift for Christmas. I explained how I never went on a trip out of the state as a child and they have already been on an airplane several times to many destinations. 
Well, we are on day 5 of our trip for Christmas. Matter of fact, its Christmas day and they are just happy. The kids have done well. We went to the beach, visited family members, created memories this vacation. I really didn't buy them a gift. Life is a gift and we have talks about gratitude often if not daily. Now, my dad definitely got them something they will absolutely love, but grandparents do that. There will always be a sale. 


url.jpg
Overindulgence in things can be a learned behavior. It can be difficult as a parent to ration and do things in moderation for our children, even when it will be in their best interest. There is nothin wrong with gift giving, just know that there is a max on that. Let's learn to teach our children moderation, the power in giving, and that no one owes you anything. It is funny to see people take polls on social media on when to stop taking lists from their kids, or the guilt from not getting a kid a gift....this is another day. I promise they will be fine. 


I am Jackie
Brain Purging

Comments

  1. Awesome! I love this. And will definitely take this into affect when I have kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I promise they were more than good. Moderation, explanation, and teaching about gratitude was one of the best gifts I could give them so that they could understand they are blessed. Plus, my dad got them phones and they weren't even expecting it, so they appreciated it so much more.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts